Thursday, December 8, 2011

Recovery of My Mallet Finger Injury in Judo Training

I injured my right pinky (little/small finger) while practicing judo on Tuesday 6th September evening. It didn't hurt and I even didn't realize my injury except slight discomfort. I finished my training as usual and then hop into driver seat of my car. I suddenly felt something strange on my right hand grip while trying to hold steering. Only at this point, I realized that my pinky is snapped and dropped downward. I tried to make it straight but it wasn't moving anymore. My first thought was, it just bent due to the pressure and eventually straighten back after some time. I didn't bother much. Just wrapped with first aid tape to keep it straight.

Next day, I woke up late and went to college right after my lunch. I had to teach soil mechanics lab. There I mentioned about my injury. Immediately, one of my student, Gijsbers Devon, told me that this a common injury and can be fixed with splint. She recommended me to keep my finger straight all the time and go to Walgreen to buy splint. Unfortunately, Walgreen salesmen told me that they don't carry any such splint. I thought ok...and decided to visit doctor next day. Following the morning, I went to NMSU Student Health Center. Nurse checked my finger thoroughly and refer to technician for X-ray. She diagnosed it as a "mallet finger" and gave me plastic splint to wear immediately. And, asked to come back tomorrow to visit doctor. Next day, on Friday, 9th September, doctor told me that I need a surgery if I want to make my finger straight. Oh, no...I was worried at this point, especially about surgery procedure, recovery time, and expenses for whole procedure etc. But, I had no choice. I wanted to heal perfectly without odd looking finger. Doctor, recommended me to Las Cruces Orthopedic Center for surgery.


I visited Las Cruces Orthopedic on 15th September. The doctor visit at this center was the shortest and the worst in my life. Doctor came to my room and spent merely a minute and left the room without a word...no explanation about injury, diagnosis, future treatment etc. At the middle of the examination, he simply mentioned that I have to see hand surgeon to insert pin to make it straight. I was still in the patient room, thinking that the doctor was out for something and will be back to explain me in detail. But, after a couple of minutes another nurse came and gave me a referral letter to El Paso Orthopedic and other document for billing...What a crap!!! I was frustrated and very disappointed with way the doctor treated me. I clearly told to the person in check out counter that I need explanations. I paid money to the doctor for my treatment and deserved to know more. Finally, the person in front desk asked a nurse to explain me what's going on...

On 21st September afternoon, I visited El Paso Orthopedic Center, Texas. The doctor checked out extensively and  concluded that I don't need any surgery or pin. He simply told me to continue using splint for four more weeks and re-visit on 20the October. I am very satisfied with this doctor. He explained me the injury, future treatment, and possible outcome. I think, this is exactly what doctor should to do...My finger completely healed after six weeks but I kept wearing splint for another eight weeks in the night time.

I am grateful to Devon for her early suggestions. I guess, her recommendation helped me heal early and perfectly. Finally, my thanks go to NMSU Health Center and El Paso Orthopedic Center.

Time Line 
  1. Injury date:  Tuesday 6th September
  2. X-ray: Thursday 7th September
  3. Las Cruces Orthopedic: 15th September
  4. El Paso Orthopedic: 21st September
  5. El Paso Orthopedic: 20th October
  6. Splint (24/7): 8th September - 20th October (6 weeks)
  7. Splint (night time only):  8 more weeks

What Happened (Diagnosis)?


X-ray taken at NMSU Student Health Center on 8th September 2011
Mallet Finger: This is what happened to my finger
My Treatment
I wore plastic splint 24 hours a day for six weeks (8th September - 20th October) and then at night for another eight weeks.


Plastic Splint 

Wearing plastic splint  
End Results 
This is how it looks like after twelve weeks of treatment with splint.  


After recovery (after 6 weeks)

Image Source: eOthropod

8 comments :

  1. Great post to know how to recover from Mallet Finger injury. Thanks for sharing.!
    To know about different types of finger splints and their uses, please check out http://bit.ly/1vSMvAQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and the million dollar question - where you still training while wearing the splint?

    ReplyDelete
  3. and the million dollar question - where you still training while wearing the splint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I did training wearing the splint. But I always made sure that there is not extra pressure on the injured finger!!!

      Delete
  4. I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. I am very impressed with your vision and insight. Louisville

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good column! Very interesting. The latest news about windows and doors from wood. https://svoknavdnh.wordpress.com/. Building messages on that site

    ReplyDelete
  6. Добрый день! Если еще не определились, то я окрашивала волосы Лебелом в том салоне. Приятные мастера, теперь вся сияю! Дамы, рекомендую!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Раздвижные окна и двери, иначе называемые PSK-порталом, инсталлируются намерено для сохранения незаполненного, свободного места. Стандартные виды раскрываются вовнутрь дома, что требует довольно большую часть места в комнате. Нынешние конструкции разрешают избежать этой проблемы, усилить световой и воздушный поток в квартире.
    Наклонно-сдвижной портал – это системы, что обладают весьма обширной площадью стеклопакета. Для гарантии возможности сдвига створок присутствуют нижние и верхние полозья, при помощи которых створка легко и бесшумно движется.
    Раздвигание происходит посредством ходовых роликов, что имеют в своем составе опору в качестве элементов армирования, дающим возможность совершенно равномерно распределять вес по по всей раме. Они дают возможность стеклопакету передвигаться в различных режимах (сдвига, наклона).
    Высота окна или двери должна быть не более 2360 мм, а ширина двери или окна имеет возможность изменяться от 67 см до 1600 мм. В зависимости от общего веса (может составлять от 100 кг до 200 кг), на портальную систему устанавливается определенная фурнитура в целях гарантии беспроблемного функционирования створок, роста срока эксплуатации. Ширина свободного проема может достигать 2000 мм.
    PSK-порталы могут похвастаться замечательными герметичными свойствами, повышенными показателями звуко-, термоизоляции, имеют должный уровень противовзломности, идеально подходят для всех типов нынешних профилей. При монтаже применяют опоясывающие щеточные уплотнители, что заметно оптимизируют работу створок.
    Если вам хочется оформить большой загородный дом, лоджию, балкон или городскую квартиру согласно модным тенденциям в дизайне, то фирма-изготовитель СВ Окна сделает и сделает монтаж параллельно-раздвижных окон и дверей.

    ReplyDelete